Pakistani Chicken Kadai
c/o Iman Rashid, PLNU student and UNITE Club president
chicken 2.2 lbs. (cut into small pieces)
onion 2 medium sized (finely chopped)
tomato 2 medium sized + ripe (peeled and finely chopped)
ginger paste 1 tbsp
garlic paste 1 tbsp
yogurt 3 tbsp (whisk in a bowl)
ginger 1⁄4 cup (thinly sliced)
green chiles 2 (chopped)
cumin seeds 1 tsp
(kashmiri) red chile powder 1 tsp
black pepper powder 1 tsp
garam masala powder 1⁄4 tsp
coriander seeds 2 tsp
red chile flakes 1 tsp (optional)
turmeric powder 1⁄4 tsp
salt 1 tsp
ghee 4 tbsp
ginger julienne 1 tbsp
green chile 1 (sliced)
red chile flakes 4 tsp
cilantro 1⁄4 cup (chopped)
- Heat saucepan. Add: chicken, onion, tomatoes, ginger paste, garlic paste, red chile flakes, turmeric powder, red chile powder, and salt. Cover and cook 8-10 minutes on medium heat. After 5 minutes, let the chicken cook until it is tender/almost cooked and liquids have dried up.
- Heat small pan. Dry roast 2 tsp coriander seeds and 1 tsp cumin seeds. Cool and crush them.
- Heat ghee in large/deep pot. Add the cooked chicken and all the juices/water present in it, whisked yogurt, crushed coriander and cumin seeds, chopped green chiles, N cup julienned ginger, garam masala powder. Stir well. Cook on high heat without covering till the chicken curry looks dry and ghee is visible in the curry. Cook for 3-5 more minutes to dry out all the extra water.
- Serve in the same large/deep pot.
- Garnish: add ginger julienne, sliced green chiles, red chile flakes, and chopped cilantro.