Agua de Jamaica
Yields 12 Glasses
given by Heavenlee Vasquez from ALAS Student Club
dried hibiscus flowers 2 cups
water 2 quarts
sugar 1⁄2 cup per pitcher
- Put 2 quarts of water in a pot.
- Add 2 cups of dried hibiscus flowers to the water.
- Bring to a boil.
- As soon as the water boils, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, turn off the heat and allow the hibiscus concentrate to cool.
Pitcher of Jamaica
- Put ⅓ of the concentrate in a half-gallon pitcher and add the sugar.
- Fill the pitcher with cool water and stir vigorously to dissolve.
- Serve chilled or over ice.
“There are multiple options when it comes to agua frescas, which are types of waters/ juices that have been made to go with meals in Mexico. You can find these delicious drinks at almost every Mexican food spot such as restaurants or taco truck spots. Agua de Jamaica is my personal favorite that I have learned to make at home with my family.”